The Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) of Government of India, Ministry of HRD is aiming at the transformation of the Technical Education System in India. TEQIP is implemented with assistance from World Bank. The Scheme would be lasting for about 10-12 years and is being implemented in phases. Phase I was during 2002 to 2007.
NIT Calicut has successfully completed the TEQIP Phase-I in 2007, and has witnessed noticeable changes in the facilities and infrastructure. Consequently Institute been selected for the second phase of the scheme, namely TEQIP Phase-II-Subcomponent 1.2, which was started in 2010-2011. Institute has been allocated 12.5 crores of which 7 crores rupees was released till 2014-‘15. According the Project Implementation Plan(PIP), the main objective of Subcomponent 1.2 is to scale-up postgraduate education and demand-driven R&D and innovation.
At NITC, the main activities being carried out under TEQIP-II are as follows:
- Improvement of infrastructure and procurement of goods and services for strengthening teaching, training, and learning facilities.
- Teaching and research assistantship to increase enrolment in existing and new PG programmes in engineering disciplines.
- Steps for enhancement of research, development and consultancy activities.
- Faculty and Staff Development for improved competence.
- Student research projects & seed money.
- Enhanced interaction with Industry.
- Institutional management capacity enhancement.
- Implementation of institutional reforms and.
- Academic support to weak students.